This post may contain some affiliate links for your convenience. We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post.
The ever popular conversation around bloggers is: should you delete pins on Pinterest? Check out this tutorial on how to delete pins on Pinterest.
Pinterest is a hugely popular social media platform that allows users to share and find new information through the sharing of images, animations, and videos. With over 433 million users worldwide, the opportunities you have to learn more and share your ideas are endless.
One way to post all the things you love on Pinterest is to pin them to your page. This gives you a quick and easy way to share the things you think others would love.
However, when you’re new to Pinterest, sharing a pin you don’t like or no longer need is quite easy. Knowing how to then remove that pin when you’ve never done it before can be quite tricky.
No need to worry though, in this post, we’re going to give you a step-by-step set of instructions for deleting a single pin or bulk pins. If you have a pin you want to delete, be sure to stick around!
What Is A Pin?
Before we show you how to delete a pin, let us explain what a pin is. A Pinterest pin is a feature that allows you to keep everything organized in one place. It is a visual representation of an idea or product someone either wants to use or aims to promote.
Each pin is saved for later use on the user’s profile. To keep things nicely organized, these pins are then kept on boards. An example of this would be a pin about the latest stroller being saved to a board about baby essentials.
Each pin consists of a title, a link, and an image. The image is used to draw other users’ attention. The title explains what the item is, and the link takes the user to a webpage where the idea or product can be found.
Why Would You Want To Delete A Pin?
So, why would you want to delete a pin? You should only ever delete a pin if it’s necessary. The last thing you want to do is delete a pin before then realizing you shouldn’t have.
Therefore, you should think carefully before deciding whether or not deleting your pin is the best thing to do. Generally speaking, there are three main reasons why someone would delete a pin.
You’ll find these 3 reasons and a brief explanation of why below. If you aren’t deleting your pin for one of these reasons, you might want to have a rethink first because when it’s gone, it’s gone.
1. You’ve Accidentally Pinned Something That Could Get You In Trouble
Until you understand all the pinning rules and regulations set out by Pinterest, it can be relatively easy to accidentally post something that could get you in trouble. An example of this is spam content, which goes against Pinterest’s community guidelines.
2. You’ve Made A Typo
One of the most common reasons for deleting a Pinterest pin is because the user has made a typo. Obvious typos can impact pin performance so they should be deleted and re-uploaded as soon as possible.
3. A Deal Has Expired
It can be a good idea to delete a pin if an offer you have been promoting has expired. This will disappoint readers and potentially damage your brand.
How To Delete Pins on Pinterest
We can now look at how you delete a Pinterest pin. When it comes to deleting a pin, you have two options at your disposal. You can permanently delete the pin or archive it.
Deleting a pin removes the pin and its data from Pinterest completely, whilst archiving it removes it from your profile and the public domain but stores it safely for you in case you want to use it again in the future. We’ll show you how to do both!
Archiving A Pinterest Pin
Follow the simple steps below if you want to archive a pin and not permanently delete it:
- On your profile, search for the pin you want to archive. When you find it click on it.
- The pin should have opened up larger on your screen, showing you a larger image and a description. From here, click on the small, gray pencil icon to the top right of the pin.
- Now, all you need to do is click on “Archive” and confirm that is what you want to do.
- The pin should now be in the archive section of your profile. You can check the archive section by scrolling to the bottom of your boards.
- All done!
Deleting A Pinterest Pin
Deleting a Pinterest pin is also very easy. Follow the step below to quickly delete any unwanted pins:
- Select the pin you want to delete and click on it to open the pin page.
- Next, click on the small, gray pencil icon towards the top right of the image.
- Select the delete option.
- When prompted, confirm that you want to delete the pin.
- All done, your pin will now have been deleted.
Related: How to post a video on Pinterest
Deleting Pinterest Pins In Bulk
If you need to delete multiple pins at once you can do it in bulk as opposed to doing each one individually. However, this is done in the board’s section of your profile instead.
Follow these steps to quickly delete multiple pins at the same time:
- Look for the board containing the pins you want to delete and click on organize. This will make all of the pins within that board selectable.
- Go through your pins, selecting the ones you want to delete. A checkmark will appear next to each pin you select.
- Now, click on the trash icon and select delete.
- Select delete again in order to confirm that is the action you want to take.
- All done, the select pins will now have been deleted.
Final thoughts on how to delete pins on Pinterest?
There you have it, three easy ways to delete a Pinterest pin. As well as having an improved knowledge when it comes to deleting Pinterest pins, after making your way through our post, you should also understand why you might want to delete a pin and how you can remove it without necessarily deleting it for good.
Now you have our step-by-step instructions at your fingertips, get to work clearing your Pinterest profile of any pins you no longer need.